Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Using Google Protobuf to Export Full Packet Dissection Data

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 07:18:48 -0700
On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 7:07 AM, Mark@xxxxxxxxxxx <mlandri@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Roland!
>
> I guess I'm asking if it'd be value added for me to submit my protobuf
> solution as an addition to current Wireshark dev branch. I've already
> written the code. I'd just have to figure out how to incorporate it into the
> Wireshark build process. It's written in c++ and requires pthread and
> protobuf libs be installed.
>
> Happy to do it but would be good to know beforehand if it'd be compatible
> with Wireshark design ethos and if the community would see value in it.

Hmmm, this is interesting ...

Having recently created a program to generate Wireshark dissectors
from XDR I thought, why not do the same for GRPC (which is based on
Protobufs.)

I have done a little bit of investigation, and I believe it can be
done (in C++) but haven't written any code as yet.

I guess I will have to do some more work on this soon when my new
802.11 sub-dissector project is done.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe