Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Small Wiki Edit: Building Wireshark on macOS using Homebrew

From: francisco javier sanchez-roselly <franciscojavier.sanchezroselly@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 09:39:31 +0200
hi All:

i have followed Wiki instructions for building using Homebrew and when i run

cmake ../

GCRYPT can not be found. i have done

brew install libgcrypt

and the issue does not get solved. any advice?

thanks, regards.

On 25 Jun 2017, at 03:21, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jun 23, 2017, at 10:25 AM, David Kreitschmann <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a small change in the Wiki, probably not worth creating an account for this.

...until the next change you want to make. :-)

The steps here to build Wireshark using homebrew recommend some unnecessary and invasive changes in /usr/local.
https://wiki.wireshark.org/BuildingAndInstalling

It would be great if someone could update it. I would also recommend using Xcode for developing on the mac.

Remove:
Special step to work around bug in Qt/Homebrew: brew link --force qt5 && ln -s /usr/local/Cellar/qt5/5.3.2/mkspecs /usr/local/mkspecs && ln -s /usr/local/Cellar/qt5/5.3.2/plugins /usr/local/plugins

Replace with:
export PATH=/usr/local/opt/qt5/bin:$PATH

Done.  (I left the description as a workaround; is it a bug workaround, or is it a step that would always be required?)

You can also use Xcode to build and debug wireshark:
mkdir build && cd build && cmake -G Xcode ../ will create a project file
On the first start don't autogenerate the targets, just add wireshark (with the application icon) manually.

But if you're using Xcode, wouldn't you be more likely to want to do it all entirely through the GUI?  CMake has a GUI - is there a way to do it from there?

(This may be a reason for you to get a Wiki account....)