Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Rename QUIC dissector

From: Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 01:59:14 +0200
On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 06:39:51PM +0200, Alexis La Goutte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want (need) to rename the actual QUIC dissector to GQUIC
> Because there is a new QUIC(-IETF) protocol with some big change... (not
> the same packet header..., endian type...)
>
> I already start to talk with Peter of this subject and it think, it will be
> a good idea to include this change in next 2.4
>
> What do you think ?

I think it is a good idea. The advantages of renaming it now rather than
post 2.4:

 - Display filter fields (color filters, packet filter, columns) will
   continue working.
 - Less confusion if a user tries the "quic" filter on an older
   Wireshark version (2.4) which supports only the Google variant.
 - Easier backporting of fixes to GQUIC from master to 2.4.

Another option is to replace (and remove GQUIC) later with the IETF
version. Similar to how older draft versions of TLS 1.3 are replaced by
newer ones. Though on the other hand, protocols like SPDY (already
removed from Chrome) are still in the tree even though HTTP2 is current.
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu