Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] linux package requirements for wireshark build

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 13:02:52 -0700

>>> zlib.x86_64                  1.2.8-10.fc24                @koji-override-0
>>> zlib-devel.i686              1.2.8-10.fc24                @fedora
>>
>> So you have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the shared library
>> installed, but only a *32-bit* version of the development package?
>>
>> That could probably confuse a configure script; it should fail in some
>> clearer fashion if you have that configuration and are configuring to
>> build a 64-bit version.
>
> yessir
>
> Attached recreated config.log per request ...

And, in fact, as per that log, it did confuse the configure script, because...

> Yes, this _particular_ problem is because I had both i686 and x86_64
> versions of the zlib package installed ... _and_  was missing zlib-devel.

...you *weren't* missing zlib-devel - you were missing the *64-bit version* of zlib-devel.

I have a fix:

	https://code.wireshark.org/review/#/c/22396/

which will cause the configuration process to fail if you can't link with zlib, but the CMake version of the fix found a bug in the way we configure libz on Windows, which I filed as bug 13850; that needs to be fixed before I can check my fix in.