Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] linux package requirements for wireshark build

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2017 20:22:10 -0700
On Jun 24, 2017, at 8:11 PM, Alan Partis <alpartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm running ./configure.

autoconf scripts write out, for debugging purposes, a "config.log" file.

>  One of the lines of output from ./configure is:
>
> "checking for inet_ntop... no"
>
> One the Fedora 25 system, where I'm successful with the build, it says:
>
> "checking for inet_ntop... yes"

So, if you look for that test in the config.log files on the two systems (searching for inet_ntop in the file should find it), what is the output for the test in question in the two files?

> I've looked through the wireshark developer's guide, and google'd all
> around, but cannot find a list of required packages for building
> wireshark.  If there is one, let me know.

Don't assume the problem is a missing package; it might be a bug in the configure script, so that it gets the wrong answer to the "do I have inet_ntop" test, possibly combined with:

> Today I'm trying it on a Fedora 24 system and I'm running into a
> compilation error complaining about conflicting types for 'inet_ntop'

a bug in Wireshark's attempt to provide its own inet_ntop() on systems where the configure script thinks it's missing.