Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] My Windows build seemed to be going so well until ...

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 20:36:56 +0100

On 19 June 2017 at 19:40, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Richard Sharpe
<realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 8:08 AM, Graham Bloice
> <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> On 19 June 2017 at 15:02, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> [...]
>>>

>>> No tool but you need whatever package supplies `htmlhelp.xsl`.
>>>
>>> Or you can remove the "--nonet" option which is what is preventing it from
>>> trying to get the file off the 'net (there was recently some discussion--but
>>> no resolution that I'm aware of--of the wiseness of using "--nonet").
>>>

>> According to the Cygwin package index
>> (https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=htmlhelp.xsl&arch=x86_64)
>> that file should be part of the asciidoc package and in my build VM is in
>> etc/asciidoc/docbook-xsl.
>
> Thanks for that. I will make sure that I have ascii doc installed. I
> extracted the command and ran it manually and initially it seemed that
> /etc/xml/catalog was empty, but I managed to copy that from a Linux
> system and got further.

Sigh. There is something really weird about my cygwin setup. I managed
to get past the previous problems and now am hitting this:

       "C:\Development\wsbuild64\Wireshark.sln" (default target) (1) ->
       "C:\Development\wsbuild64\docbook\all_guides.vcxproj.metaproj"
(default target) (3) ->
       "C:\Development\wsbuild64\docbook\user_guides.vcxproj.metaproj"
(default target) (30) ->
       "C:\Development\wsbuild64\docbook\user_guide_chm.vcxproj.metaproj"
(default target) (32) ->
       "C:\Development\wsbuild64\docbook\user_guide_chm.vcxproj"
(default target) (119) ->
         CUSTOMBUILD : I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd
[C:\Development\wsbuild64\docbook\user_guide_chm.vcxproj]

Have you installed the Cygwin docbook-xml45 package as listed in the Developers Guide?
I think that again, that package wants to reach out to the internet for some unknown reason.

If you're only building Wireshark to run locally you can dispense with the docs which does make the build simpler by omitting the "-DENABLE_CHM_GUIDES=on" argument to CMake.

If you're aiming to build an installer then you do need to build the docs, which requires docbook and it's partners, which just makes life awkward on Windows.

--
Graham Bloice