Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Does it take a while before a public key becomes available o

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 14:21:46 +0100

On 13 June 2017 at 14:18, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 6:13 AM, Richard Sharpe
<realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 6:01 AM, Graham Bloice
> <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> On 13 June 2017 at 13:37, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>>> Thanks, I will give it a try when I have finished debugging this other
>>> problem I have at work.
>>>
>>> I guess I was confused by this instruction:
>>>
>>>          git clone ssh://[email protected].org:29418/wireshark
>>>
>>> because Phabricator used a weird single username. Since you have put
>>> angle brackets around your_username it is clear that I should replace
>>> that token with my username.
>>
>> The commands are different because they're intended for two different
>> purposes.
>>
>> The ssh command attempts to open a remote shell connection to the gerrit
>> server, the git clone command uses ssh to clone the wireshark repository.
>
> So you are saying that it literally should be
> USERNAME@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:... there?
>
> Let me check it again to see if it is working now.

Well, I tried again with exactly what was in the developer website:
https://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/SubmittingPatches and it failed
again but then I tried replacing USERNAME with my username and it
works.

Can I suggest that the documentation be updated to use <USERNAME>
rather than the literal USERNAME?

Anyone doing Wireshark development is likely familiar with that syntax
but also familiar with other sites, like Phabricator, that do use a
literal string in the username portion.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe

Feel free to modify the Wiki to suit, but IIRC you're the first person to fall into this "trap".

--
Graham Bloice