Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Switch master and master-2.4 to Visual Studio 2015?

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 10:45:31 -0700
On 6/7/17 2:03 AM, Graham Bloice wrote:

> On 7 June 2017 at 00:11, Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     We currently build all of our Windows packages using Visual Studio
>     2013. Unless anyone has any objections I'd like to switch the master
>     and master-2.4 builders to Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 ahead of the 2.4
>     release.
>

> No objections, although I was considering a jump straight to 2017 once I
> work out how to get the Qt 5.9 build for 2017.

You should just be able to use the Maintenance Tool to install the "msvc2017 64-bit" component for 64-bit builds, but there's no corresponding component for 32-bit builds. The 5.9.0 Windows components are annoyingly asymmetric:

  MinGW 5.3.0 32-bit
  msvc2015 32-bit
  msvc2013 64-bit
  msvc2015 64-bit
  msvc2017 64-bit

If we were to jump to 2017 I suppose we could use the MinGW component on the 32-bit builder. It might also be an excuse to start using vcpkg.

Other people don't seem to be too happy with the missing msvc2017 32-bit component (particularly given that 5.9 is an LTS branch), so hopefully they'll add one:

https://blog.qt.io/blog/2017/05/31/qt-5-9-released/#comment-1199794