Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] stable[32|64].xml

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 15:26:57 -0700
On 5/4/17 9:56 AM, Maynard, Chris wrote:
> Can someone please share the latest stable32.xml and stable64.xml files for
> automatic updates?  It seems that the format has changed, but I can’t tell
> what it should be because “Check for updates…” now uses a secure connection
> so the information is encrypted.  The format is useful to know if one is to
> direct users to the latest **custom** version of Wireshark instead of to
> the latest off-the-shelf version.
>
> The format I previously used no longer seems to be working.

Are you asking about the general format of the XML files or the content that we deliver from www.wireshark.org? We use WinSparkle for automatic updates on Windows, which uses an RSS variant called Appcast:

  https://github.com/vslavik/winsparkle/wiki/Appcast-Feeds

"Check for updates" uses HTTPS, but it's easy enough to dump stable{32,64}.xml using curl:

$ curl -o - https://www.wireshark.org/update/0/Wireshark/0.0.0/Windows/x86/en-US/stable.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<rss version="2.0" xmlns:sparkle="http://www.andymatuschak.org/xml-namespaces/sparkle";>
<channel>