Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Compilation issue on Mac OS

From: ajay saxena <aileronajay@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 23:04:51 -0400

This is what i get for gcc --version

Ajays-MacBook-Pro:wireshark ajasaxen$ gcc --version

Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1

Apple LLVM version 8.1.0 (clang-802.0.42)

Target: x86_64-apple-darwin16.5.0

Thread model: posix

InstalledDir: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 11:02 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Apr 21, 2017, at 7:33 PM, ajay saxena <aileronajay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Though the compile failed at a different file
>
> addr_resolv.c:91:11: fatal error: 'ares.h' file not found
> # include <ares.h>

So it's failing for files in the epan directory, not just for files in epan/dissectors.

> and this file too is present in the /usr/local/include. So i think AM_CPPFLAGS is not searching my /usr/local/include.

Makefile variables don't search anything.  *Compilers* search something.

The question here is why the compiler isn't searching /usr/local/include.  Unfortunately, what the LLVM project calls a "manual" for Clang:

        http://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html

isn't a very *good* manual - for example, it doesn't describe the include file search rules anywhere, so it gives no indication of whether /usr/local/include is part of the default search path and, if it's not always part of the default search path, when it's not.

Now, on your system, the autotools make use something called "gcc", but that might just be Clang, rather than GCC, if you haven't explicitly installed GCC.  What does "gcc --version" print?