Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] epan_t and capture_file

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:32:14 -0700
On Apr 14, 2017, at 4:26 PM, Michael Mann <mmann78@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is an interesting problem because I'm not sure where the "data crunching" should really be done (GUI vs dissector).

By which you presumably mean "UI code of some sort vs. dissector", because...

> For statistics dialogs, I think more data computation is done in the GUI (taking information from taps).

...*tabular* statistics should, by and large, have as little GUI code of their own as possible, preferably none - that way, the tabular statistic can be used in TShark (write the table to the standard output) and in whatever GUIs are being used for Wireshark (show a table via the GUI) and....