Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Can't compile on CentoOS

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 18:30:03 +0200

On 04/11/2017 03:22 PM, Pascal Quantin wrote:
Hi Dan,

    Hi all,____

    __ __

    I apologize if this isn’t the right place to post this question, but
    the “Building and Installing Wireshark” document said “If you cannot
    determine what the problems are, send an email to
    the/wireshark-dev/mailing list explaining your problem.”, so here I
    am.____

    __ __

    I’m running on an Oracle VM that is running
    _centos-release-6-7.el6.centos.12.3.x86_64_. And I downloaded the
    following source package from the git repository. (Although any
    recent checkin would be fine.)____

    __ __

    ____

    __ __

    There is no *configure* file, so I ran *./config.guess* to which I
    got the following response: *x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu*. So I’m
    blocked. What do I need to do to get to a compile?

As stated in https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSrcBuildFirstTime.html#_building_on_unix, when using autofoo you are supposed to run ./autogen.sh so as to generate ./configure

Alternatively, if you have cmake on your machine, you can run cmake instead of ./autogen.sh followed by ./configure

I think you meant "followed by make" instead?

Indeed my wording was not clear. He can either do:
./autogen.sh && ./configure && make
or
cmake && make

Any reason why you are picking the old stable branch?

Best regards,
Pascal.