Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Inconsistent availability of proto_tree values during the fi

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 00:13:54 -0700
On Apr 10, 2017, at 11:57 PM, Paul Offord <Paul.Offord@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK - So just to summarize, we need to:
>
> 	• Short Term - Add a flag somewhere that can be set by a dissector, post-dissector or tap to request that a proto_tree is produced on the first pass
> 	• Long Term – Add a facility that allows a dissector, post-dissector or tap to request a list of specific protocol field values values during the first pass
>
> Is that right?

Something such as that; the short-term solution is exactly that, the long-term solution might involve providing the values of those protocol fields on *every* pass or on the first pass.  (It may also involve the way to deliver them, given that a given protocol might appear more than once in the protocol stack, given various forms of tunneling/encapsulation.)