Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Inconsistent availability of proto_tree values during the fi

From: Paul Offord <Paul.Offord@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 07:30:07 +0000
> Given that there are no such APIs, one would have to be added and, if we're going  to be adding APIs, an API by which a post-dissector can specify that, at least on the first pass through the packets, it requires a protocol tree would be better, as it wouldn't encourage people to write code that works only in Wireshark but not in TShark.

OK but just to be clear, I'm not trying to write a Wireshark-only post-dissector.  This is a port of transum.lua which supports Wireshark and tshark.

> So would you need the full protocol tree *every* time the packet is dissected, or just the *first* time (meaning you'd save the results of the first-pass processing and not require it later)?

TRANSUM only needs the values in the first pass, but during the second pass it adds a section to the end of the visible tree using proto_tree_add_xxxxxx function and I assume that means it needs the full tree at that point.  I imagine other dissectors and post-dissectors would also need the full tree on the second pass.