Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Default snaplen in man page

From: Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 10:54:38 +0200
Hi Martin,

Yes, there is a bug on man (forget to update after last update... https://code.wireshark.org/review/2658 )

You can open a bug or push directly on fix.

Cheers

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Martin Sehnoutka <msehnout@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I'm investigating why Wireshark is dropping packets when capturing over
loopback and I think the man page is wrong with the default snaplen. It
says that the default size is 65535, but if I'm not mistaken the default
size is set in capture_opts.c which leads to WTAP_MAX_PACKET_SIZE in
wiretap/wtap.h and the value is 262144.

$ grep snaplen capture_opts.c
    capture_opts->default_options.has_snaplen     = FALSE;
    capture_opts->default_options.snaplen         = WTAP_MAX_PACKET_SIZE;

$ grep WTAP_MAX_PACKET_SIZE wiretap/wtap.h
#define WTAP_MAX_PACKET_SIZE    262144

When running wireshark it indeed seems like the default value is 262144
(it drops the same amount of packets, as it does without specifying any
snaplen). Should I fill in a bug report?

Regards,

--
Martin Sehnoutka | Associate Software Engineer
PGP: 5FD64AF5