Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] cannot install - damaged .pkg - OSX 2.2.5 & 2.1.1

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:22:36 -0700
On Mar 20, 2017, at 5:56 PM, f1rstango <f1rstango@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Process:         Installer [4395]
> Identifier:      com.apple.installer
> Version:         ???

> Application Specific Information:
> dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries
>
> Dyld Error Message:
>  Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaLaunching.framework/Versions/A/JavaLaunching
>  Referenced from: /System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer
>  Reason: image not found

That sounds as if your *system* is damaged; when Installer starts up, the run-time linker is trying to load a library at run time, but the library isn't on your system.

On my macOS Sierra system, Installer does refer to that library:

	$ otool -L /System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer | egrep Java
	        /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaLaunching.framework/Versions/A/JavaLaunching (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)

and that file exists on my system:

	$ file /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaLaunching.framework/Versions/A/JavaLaunching
	/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaLaunching.framework/Versions/A/JavaLaunching: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [i386: Mach-O i386 dynamically linked shared library] [x86_64: Mach-O 64-bit x86_64 dynamically linked shared library]