Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] MPEG2-TS, DVB-SI, and DVB-GSE Dissectors

From: Paul Williamson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 13:46:03 -0700
On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Alexander Adolf <alexander.adolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've briefly looked at packet-dvb-s2-bb.c ,and it seems it does BBFrame ans well as some GSE handling. Before adding GSE reassembly, I think I might try to factor the GSE stuff out into a new packet-dvb-gse.c. Two reasons: an S2 BBFrame may contain MPEG2-TS or GSE, and GSE may be transported over DVB-T2 and DVB-C2 as well. I doesn't seem dissecting MPEG2-TS in S2 BBFrames is supported today?

That's correct. The original authors were apparently only interested in dissecting GSE, and that was consistent with my use cases, so I left it that way.

I don't know much about MPEG2-TS. I assume you'd mostly want to dissect the logical channels that carry IP packets. I'm guessing there isn't much utility in a detailed dissection of audio or video channels.

I think factoring GSE out makes sense if you can cleanly invoke it from the DVB-T2 and/or DVB-C2 dissectors. I haven't looked at that, though DVB-T2 is also of interest for my ham radio project. Do those dissectors even exist yet?

  -Paul