Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] MPEG2-TS, DVB-SI, and DVB-GSE Dissectors

From: Alexander Adolf <alexander.adolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 21:03:33 +0100
Hello Paul,

Many thanks for your swift response, and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

On 2017-03-14, at 18:53 , Paul Williamson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> I was the last one to contribute to the GSE dissector implementation in epan/dissectors/packet-dvb-s2-bb.c.
>
> My involvement is through an amateur radio project (Phase 4 Ground) that is planning to use DVB-S2 for a ham radio (non-broadcast) satellite downlink. As such, I'm not very connected into the industry standards process, so I was unaware of parts 2 and 3 of TS102606. I'll study them now, thanks for the pointer.

Glad you found the hint useful. ;-)

As I'm the editor of these docs, please don't hesitate to drop me any questions. I'm happy to assist wherever I can.

> The current dissector does not handle GSE fragmentation reassembly. Adding that is on my to-do list, but not at the top of the list. I'm guessing you may want to have reassembly before you add more protocol level support. You and I should coordinate to avoid duplication of effort on this.
>
> This work on the GSE dissector is all I've done with Wireshark, so I'm a beginner here, too. I'm not sure what other hints to offer you. I'd be happy to coordinate with you off-list and assist you however I can.
> [...]

Adding the reassembly seems like a good starting point. Happy to look into this.

I've briefly looked at packet-dvb-s2-bb.c ,and it seems it does BBFrame ans well as some GSE handling. Before adding GSE reassembly, I think I might try to factor the GSE stuff out into a new packet-dvb-gse.c. Two reasons: an S2 BBFrame may contain MPEG2-TS or GSE, and GSE may be transported over DVB-T2 and DVB-C2 as well. I doesn't seem dissecting MPEG2-TS in S2 BBFrames is supported today?

Many thanks and looking forward to your thoughts,

  --alexander