Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] MPEG2-TS, DVB-SI, and DVB-GSE Dissectors

From: Martin Kaiser <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:22:44 +0100
Hi Alexander,

good to see you again. We worked together in the DVC-CI+ group back in
2014. I hope that I told you about Wireshark's CI+ dissector then ;-)

Thus wrote Alexander Adolf (alexander.adolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> For both topics, I would expect one likely guidance I'll be receiving
> to be "submit a patch". This is of course the most productive and
> easiest to manage way from the point of view of the regular
> contributors who are familiar with the code

... and the best way to _become_ familiar with the code.

There's no such thing as a "high-level introduction to the DVB-related
functionality" document.
There is, however, doc/README.dissector, which is worth a read.

> (1) A little bit of streamlining of how DVB PSI/SI is presented when
> analysing MPEG2-TS. I could e.g. imagine it to help readability if the
> PID were shown in the source and/or destination address field. Also,
> when interpreting DVB PSI/SI tables, some interpretations of
> identifiers doesn't seem to be quite accurate.

That sounds like a good starting point: Find a field that we don't
interpret correctly. Try to find out where it's defined and modify it.
Try to come up with a small and simple modification for the first patch.
If you get stuck along the way, let me know which field you're looking
at and prepare a ts file that you can share with us.

Good luck,
Martin