Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark-dev: Re: Lua embedded into C++

From: Kunal Thakrar <kunalthakrar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 22:25:17 +0000

Apologies, I assumed my previous email will link to the thread in February but it did not.

My aim for my module is to create a web browser agnostic developer's tools, similar to Chrome and Firefox. When a user opens my module they will see all the current TCP conversations occurring on their system (this works in a similar way to the Conversation dialog). A user will be able to choose a conversation. From there I want to be able to use listeners to see all the packets to do with that conversation which they selected on a new GUI window, and hopefully be able to implement some sort of check whether there are HTTP or https packets etc.

In my previous email thread Peter Wu mentioned

"The classes included with the WSLUA API are not designed to be

registered with multiple users. If you are lucky, it sometimes does not
work as expected (due to shared global variables, registrations to other
parts of the dissector APIs), if you are unlucky it will just crash."

Which seems to be the problem I am running into. So my question is, is there a way to get around these problems with the Lua stack or would it be easier to create/register listeners and post dissectors in C and C++ and if it is, how would I go about doing it?

Kind regards,
Kunal