Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How to see where exception occurs in Malformed packets

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 23:59:28 +0100
Hi,

Glib logging won't help you much, as in, malformed packet dissection isn't a
problem in the underlying infrastructure of the program (which would cause said
log messages to be generated), but a exception caught by the dissection engine
itself. The common way to get forward is to retrieve the source code for the
dissector the malformation is detected in and find the lines of code on which
this exception is raised. The code, together with the packet bytes usually
expose the problem as perceived by the dissector. If implemented correctly this
would show the problem in the encoding of the information in the packet, or
expose a bug in the dissector, for which a bug report could be filed. But first
make sure the relevant dissector preferences are set correctly.

Thanks,
Jaap