Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Kasumi algorithm implementation

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 22:12:00 +0100
Hi,

Le 27 févr. 2017 21:43, "ss ws" <sswsdev@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
At the moment, there's a place holder file for the Kasumi algorithm found at:
wireshark/epan/crypt/Kasumi.h
And I found this dev thread form 2012 where the issue of Mitsubishi's patent on the algorithm (not the code) and the copyright issue with the Kasumi implementation found in ETSI's specifications were raised:

Looks like the bottom line by Joerg Mayer was - If there is an implementation other than ETSI's we could add this one to Wireshark but leave default setting of not using it unless Wireshark is compiled with HAVE_UMTS_KASUMI defined (as seen in Kasumi.h).

Can anyone back this?
If this is the case I have just stumbled upon this cpp implemenation on github:
which is both different from the implementation in the specifications and released under the 'Simplified BSD License'.
If it was re-written in c, could we add that implementation to Wireshark?

Nothing has changed since that time (except the fact that the link is http://www.3gpp.org/specifications/60-confidentiality-algorithms).
As you said this was raised in the past so far not integrated to avoid being potentially sued (like for AMR codecs, SNOW3G and ZUC ciphers,...).
None of us has paid a lawyer to verify whether we could safely add it or not.

Best regards,
Pascal.