Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Crash in epan/geoip_db.c

From: Gisle Vanem <gisle.vanem@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 19:01:45 +0100
Guy Harris wrote:

> They (MaxMind) might want to consider having a cleanup routine anyway, given that 1) their code works
> on Windows and 2) unless the GeoIP library and the code that calls it are built with the same version
> of MSVC, or the "universal CRT" or whatever it's called is being used, Bad Things can happen if the code
> that calls it frees stuff allocated by the library, as the allocation and freeing will be done by
> different versions of the C runtime library.

AFAIK, one cannot use GeoIP as a .DLL. But a static lib is fine with me.

BTW the Tor-project uses MaxMind's Geo-IP information via some CVS-files
  parsed at runtime:
   https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/src/or/geoip.c
   https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/src/config/geoip

It's super-fast and something to consider for Wireshark too IMHO.
I suspect the .mmdb files are more up-to-date than the .dat files.

--
--gv