Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Conditional compiles

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 16:02:00 +0100
One specific future scenario would be an iOS or Android version of Wireshark purely for analyzing traffic captures and not capturing in itself. Usually on such systems providing a binary which can capture system traffic is frowned upon if not outright forbidden by the developer licenses. Therefore generating a binary which is not even capable of capturing (as well as integrating plugins or lua scripts for instance) would be preferrable.

I am not propagating going there, but I do not see a reason in actively bricking up that road by adding a simplified version of libpcap or making it obligatory to build against it.

regards