Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Remove our bundled crypto library (in favor of Libgcrypt)?

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 14:40:03 +0100

Le 12 févr. 2017 11:12, "Erik de Jong" <erikdejong@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(forgot to attach the file lists...)

I'll get to work on the aes_cmac_encrypt_* and crypt_* symbols. Will you make a separate change for this on which we'll both work or is it additional work on 20030?

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 10:35:10PM +0100, Peter Wu wrote:
> [...]
> > > (case 2). Since we Libgcrypt is already used in a lot of places, it
> > > seemed natural to replace wsutil by Libgcrypt.
> > >
> > > When trying to do so, I noticed that having an optional Libgcrypt makes
> > > it much harder and hence changeset 20030 was created first to make it
> > > mandatory. Once that is in place, we can change the wsutil crypto users
> > > to Libgcrypt. I plan to start working on that in the next days, let me
> > > know if you want to join this effort :-)
> > >

> > I'd like to help out, please tell me how I can assist in a way that won't
> > be counterproductive.
>
> Thanks!  The following files need to be modified / removed:
>
>     debian/libwsutil0.symbols
>     wsutil/CMakeLists.txt
>     wsutil/Makefile.am
>     wsutil/aes.c
>     wsutil/aes.h
>     wsutil/des.c
>     wsutil/des.h
>     wsutil/md4.c
>     wsutil/md4.h
>     wsutil/md5.c
>     wsutil/md5.h
>     wsutil/rc4.c
>     wsutil/rc4.h
>     wsutil/sha1.c
>     wsutil/sha1.h
>     wsutil/sha2.c
>     wsutil/sha2.h
>
> The symbols to be removed are:
>
> - aes_cmac_encrypt_finish@Base 2.1.0
> - aes_cmac_encrypt_starts@Base 2.1.0
> - aes_cmac_encrypt_update@Base 2.1.0
> - crypt_des_ecb@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - crypt_md4@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - crypt_rc4@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - crypt_rc4_init@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - md5_append@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - md5_finish@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - md5_hmac@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - md5_hmac_append@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - md5_hmac_finish@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - md5_hmac_init@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - md5_init@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - sha1_finish@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - sha1_hmac@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - sha1_hmac_finish@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - sha1_hmac_starts@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - sha1_hmac_update@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - sha1_starts@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - sha1_update@Base 1.12.0~rc1
> - sha256_finish@Base 2.1.0
> - sha256_hmac@Base 2.1.0
> - sha256_hmac_finish@Base 2.1.0
> - sha256_hmac_starts@Base 2.1.0
> - sha256_hmac_update@Base 2.1.0
> - sha256_starts@Base 2.1.0
> - sha256_update@Base 2.1.0
>
> Attached are the files that need to be modified (one list for any
> occurrence per file, one list with files grouped per function).
>
> The first three functions were "recently" added (see git logs) and is
> only used in airpdcap code.
>
> Looking at crypt_des_ecb, the users are packet-ntlmssp.c and
> packet-dcerpc-netlogin.c. These also use md5 a lot and crypt_rc4.
> Do you have any preference for a file/crypto function to tackle?
>
> Note that the current minimum Libgcrypt version is 1.4.2. For CMAC you
> need Libgcrypt 1.6.0 or newer. All other functions have been available
> for longer time. References that might be helpful:

So we'll have to update the minimum required version to 1.6.0 as well then.

Or we could use conditional compilation against the libgcrypt version like what is done in packet-pdcp-lte.c.