Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Remove our bundled crypto library (in favor of Libgcrypt)?

From: Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 00:18:49 +0100
On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 10:51:29AM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2017, at 5:40 AM, Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I did not expect Libgcrypt to consume entropy when it is just doing
> > decryption.
>
> I'm concerned with consuming CPU and wall-clock time - i.e., slowing *shark startup - not entropy.

Could you clarify this concern? I did not observe an attempt by
Libgcrypt to obtain entropy at startup and neither did it consume
entropy during decryption. So the contribution to wall-clock time should
be (near) zero. How would this affect CPU time?

Or maybe I am misunderstanding your question?
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu