Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Preferences dialog width - GTK interface

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 12:04:48 +0100
> On 6 Feb 2017, at 07:43, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On 6 Feb 2017, at 00:08, Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> And now seriously?
>>
>> I can reproduce this problem (with 2.0.5 and master
>> (v2.3.0rc0-2268-g9ffff86e8d) with GTK+ 3.77.2, the dialog is very wide.
>> I guess it has something to do with the children not being constrained
>> while the parent tries to adjust to the largest width.
>>
>> Maybe setting the maximum width hint for the label would help? (No idea
>> how, would have to read the fine manual for that.)
>>

> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for having a look.  Indeed we’ll need to tweak the preference label widget to word wrap, as does the Qt version. Let’s see what we can find.

Hi,

I’ve rebuild and tested 2.0.11 to see how similar this is to master, since these long titles were only introduced recently.
Indeed it’s not as bad as with master. In master-2.2 and master-2.0 the GTK preference dialogs are not as small as the Qt one, but well in line with the application window (IMHO). The big change is in master, where the GTK preferences dialog is much wider, wider than my single screen.

So, the fact that this is not (yet) reported makes more sense now. Anyway, let’s see how we can reign in the GTK preference dialog.

Thanks,
Jaap