Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Preferences dialog width - GTK interface

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 07:43:35 +0100
> On 6 Feb 2017, at 00:08, Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2017 at 10:42:32PM +0100, Jaap Keuter wrote:
>> On 05-02-17 21:28, Alexis La Goutte wrote:
>>>

>>> On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 7:52 PM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx
>>> <mailto:jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>>
>>>    Hi,
>>>
>>>    Does anyone else get ridiculous wide (as in over 2000 px wide) preference dialog
>>>    on GTK development build?
>>>    It seems that the new 'title only' preferences, of RDP, DAP, SAP, etc, are long
>>>    lines, which are wrapped in the Qt interface, but not in the GTK interface.
>>>
>>> Hi Jaap,
>>>
>>> May be because user use now Qt ? ;-)
>>>

>> And now seriously?
>
> I can reproduce this problem (with 2.0.5 and master
> (v2.3.0rc0-2268-g9ffff86e8d) with GTK+ 3.77.2, the dialog is very wide.
> I guess it has something to do with the children not being constrained
> while the parent tries to adjust to the largest width.
>
> Maybe setting the maximum width hint for the label would help? (No idea
> how, would have to read the fine manual for that.)

Hi Peter,

Thanks for having a look.  Indeed we’ll need to tweak the preference label widget to word wrap, as does the Qt version. Let’s see what we can find.

Thanks,
Jaap

PS: I’ve seen no bug reports on this. If this indeed is a problem existing from 2.0 on, does this show that the legacy interface sees little use?