Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] University Project

From: Kunal Thakrar <kunalthakrar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 13:09:56 +0000

Hello,

I am currently doing some development to create a customised Wireshark as part of a project at university, which will add a feature similar to the developer's tools in Firefox and the same in Chrome. However, this will be within Wireshark and will, therefore, be separate from the web browsers.

I started by creating a GUI window similar to the existing Conversations dialog with features removed to only show the TCP connections. From there I have added a menu option to the TCP conversations displayed (when users right-click a conversation) which will open a new GUI window and will allow users to see all the packets within that conversation and other bits of information which will be similar to the Chrome and Firefox features mentioned above. So far I am able to get a Conversation item (conv_item_t) of the conversation which the user has selected (in a similar way to the filter used in the Conversations dialog) and therefore I have the all of the data stored in the conv_item_t for the conversation selected, such as IP address of source and destination. However, I am not sure how to get all the packets to do with that conversation and be able to print some of their data to the new GUI window.

Is there a way to do this using existing code or would I have to go about doing this in another way?

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need more information.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Kunal Thakrar