Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Checking address in WMEM

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 09:41:40 -0500

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Dario Lombardo <dario.lombardo.ml@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What problem specifically are you trying to solve? There may be an easier way.

Evan

The general problem is: a function takes a wmem string as input. This function can do wmem_realloc, then I need the scope the variable lives in. If the caller gives the wrong scope, I have a crash. The question is how can I check that the variable is consistent with the provided scope? Despite very expensive, I could have this check in debug only to reduce the debug time.

Sounds like a crash is the *right* thing to do here, non?

Or are you looking for a way to make the crash easier to debug?