Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] git-review fails with an SSL error

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 18:32:48 +0000

On 17 January 2017 at 18:04, Paul Offord <Paul.Offord@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I’m trying to get git-review working.  I think I’ve done everything necessary but this is what I get:

C:\Development\wireshark>git status

On branch bug12973

Changes not staged for commit:

  (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)

  (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)

        modified:   ui/gtk/main_toolbar.c

        modified:   ui/qt/main_window.cpp

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

C:\Development\wireshark>git commit -a

[bug12973 98ee4f256a] Fix Access Violation in plugin_if_mainwindow_get_ws_info(...)

C:\Development\wireshark>git review

Problem running 'git remote update origin'

Fetching origin

fatal: unable to access 'https://code.wireshark.org/review/wireshark/': Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to code.wireshark.org:443

error: Could not fetch origin

I’m not sure why I’m not using ssh as I have set this up and the recommended test works fine.

I got to similar position a couple of years ago and never got it working.  I’m obviously doing something wrong as this is a completely fresh install of all involved packages.

I’m using:

  • git version 2.11.0.windows.3
  • git-review version 1.25.0
  • Python 3.6.0

I’ve spent about 6 hours on this so far – just to push a stupid two line patch.  Any advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks and regards…Paul

Could be several things, try adding a "-v" to git-review for more verbose output

Is it because you have checked out out a tag and not the master-2.2 branch?  What does "git branch" show?

Have you checked your git\ssh connection to Gerrit? see https://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/SubmittingPatches/GitForWindows, but note you'll need to supply the path to the git version of ssh, i.e. (from PowerShell)

  & "C:\Program Files\Git\usr\bin\ssh.exe" -p 29418 yourgerritusername@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Pro-tip: On Windows use Powershell (although it's now available everywhere) and PoshGit (cinst -y poshgit in chocolatey) which adds some nice support for git to the shell.

--
Graham Bloice