Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Getting values into version_extra, VCSVERSION and VCSBRANCH

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 07:46:09 -0500
On 01/11/2017 12:16 AM, Richard Sharpe wrote:
On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01/10/2017 07:53 PM, Richard Sharpe wrote:

Now that my dissector generator is working well enough to handle the
vagaries of the ten or so XDR files we have I am working on getting
RPMs generated.

I want the version info returned by get_ws_vcs_version_info to:

1. Return some additional info in the version string, like
2.3.0-SOMEHASH where SOMEHASH is, say, the MD5 sum of all the XDR
files used.

2. The git hash and branch

However, I would like this all to happen in the SPEC file that is used
to build RPMs.

Has anyone done that?

No but do you want the RPM version to also reflect that version information?

If so you'd have to update the version information in `configure.ac` before
generating the RPM (if you use our SPEC file and build process). To do that
you'd want to update `version_extra` before running autogen.sh.

At the moment I am using sed to do that, but hadn't realized that it
would affect the RPM name as well. The hash I am using is going to
make the RPM names look ugly.

It could affect the RPM *version* not the name. Though actually currently `version_extra` is actually not part of the RPM version name:

> AC_SUBST(RPM_VERSION, version_major.version_minor.version_micro)

It probably should be.