Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How do I set the epan/dissectors/Makefile.am CUSTOM_DISSECTO

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 11:51:38 +0100
Just my two cents here. If you would change your build-system to CMake, you could use the CMakeListsCustom.txt files to achieve the same thing. You would not need to script anything, and could directly just copy the necessary file into the build. The plugins and additional dissectors do not need to reside even in the same src code database as Wireshark.

Take a look at CMakeListsCustom.txt.example for the reference.

Currently the customization applies to:

./CMakeListsCustom.txt.example
./epan/crypt/CMakeListsCustom.txt.example
./epan/dissectors/CMakeListsCustom.txt.example
./ui/gtk/CMakeListsCustom.txt.example

regards
Roland

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 3:32 AM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 6:20 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 9:09 PM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> I need to jam a list of dissectors into the CUSTOM_DISSECTOR_SRC
>> variable that is available in Makefile.am/Makefile.in ...
>>
>> How do I manage that?
>

> What I used to do (back when I managed proprietary dissectors) was to keep
> some commits on a branch off of master where one of the changes was to add
> my dissectors to epan/dissectors/Custom.common.  Then I'd just do a `git
> fetch` followed by `git rebase origin/master myprivatebranch` to keep my
> branch up to date.

OK, that will work. It would have been nicer if it was defined in
configure and then replaced but we can't have everything.

Editing that file with awk or something will be easy enough before I
run configure.

--
Richard Sharpe
(何以解憂?唯有杜康。--曹操)