Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] extcap slowing down start of WS

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 09:53:05 +0100
@Stiq - this is the plan going forward. But first, I need to fix the initial call to the interfaces on Windows, because there is an issue with stdin buffers on Windows and a large number of interfaces.

The register preferences call is a necessity, but the one in fill_in_local_interfaces could be avoided, and should be actually. I'll look into that as well. But for now, all improvements are planned for 2.4, not 2.2

regards
Roland

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Stig Bjørlykke <stig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Anders Broman
<anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It now seems like extcap_register_preferences is the thing taking the
> longest time when starting up Wireshark, at least on Window.

One issue is that extcap_register_preferences is called before loading
the interfaces, and therefore all extcap binaries are run twice
because of multiple calls to extcap_reload_interface_list().  One in
extcap_register_preferences() and one in fill_in_local_interfaces().
This should be improved.

started, like is done in "Refresh Interfaces".

--
Stig Bjørlykke