Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] asn2wrs again

From: Eliot Lear <lear@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 08:55:15 +0100

Thanks for your comment.

I got it working.  I'll make a pull request in a few days' time.

Eliot

On 12/29/16 5:54 PM, Pascal Quantin wrote:
Hi Eliot,

Sorry to whine about this, but I'm struggling with the documentation a
bit.  I'm trying to understand what is necessary to cause wireshark to
interpret a new OID in a certificate (a certificate extension- it's just
an IA5String).  Simply including the MIB doesn't appear to be enough
(it's a very simple MIB).  Listing the oid in the conformance file under
"#.REGISTER" doesn't do the trick either.  I'm noting that if I create
my own extension, none of the intermediate include files are getting
filled out.  I'm CLEARLY doing something entirely wrong, but have no
idea what.  I'm hoping not to have to parse python to figure this out.

Not easy to answer you, especially as I'm not familiar with BER encoding (I guess this is the one you are using) and you did not provide much information, but did you try registering your OID in your template file using one of the register_ber_oid_XXX functions found in packet-ber.h, and then calling it by modifying the conformance file so as to call call_ber_oid_callback? You can find several examples in the epan/dissectors/asn1 folder.
If this is not what is required, please consider sharing more information on your dissector.

Best regards,
Pascal.