Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Field Registration Error

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 16:17:56 +0100
Hi Paul,

I upgraded from 2.2.2 to 2.2.3 a few days ago.  I have a dissector( written in C) that I wrote a while back that works OK with 2.2.2 but not 2.2.3.  With the latter, on Wireshark start up I get:

  14:49:57          Err  Field 's-sitename' (iis_log.s_sitename) is a FT_ABSOLUTE_TIME but is being displayed as BASE_NONE instead of as a time

My definition for the field registration array is:

static hf_register_info hf[] = {

    { &hf_bds_type,

    { "BDS Type", "bds.type",

    FT_UINT16, BASE_DEC,

    vs_type, 0x0,

    NULL, HFILL }

    },

    { &hf_bds_format,

    { "BDS Format", "bds.format",

    FT_UINT16, BASE_DEC,

    vs_format, 0x0,

    NULL, HFILL }

    },

    { &hf_iis_s_sitename,

    { "s-sitename", "iis_log.s_sitename",

    FT_STRING, BASE_NONE, NULL, 0x0,

    "IIS site name", HFILL } },

   .

   .

I’m going to do some debugging this evening but I wondered if there have been any changes made to field registration.

Are you sure you are not using a plugin compiled against master-2.0 branch? It would lead to this kind of error due to the addition of FT_IEEE_11073_SFLOAT and FT_IEEE_11073_FLOAT values in epan/ftypes/ftypes.h: the numerical value for FT_STRING in 2.0 branch corresponds to FT_ABSOLUTE_TIME in 2.2 branch.

This file was not changed between 2.2.2 and 2.2.3.

Pascal.