Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Packet sample repository/library?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 15:51:51 -0500

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 5:28 AM, Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2) Won't be good idea to allow skip a sample from automatic testing
> (because it is for GUI demonstration)?

You can invoke individual tests (which is most likely what you want when
you are testing changes to a single dissector). GUI versus tshark
single-pass and two-pass (-2) should produce the same results.

Maybe this isn't quite what you meant but it *is* (semi-)normal that 1- and 2- pass results are different.  At least for generated fields (that require information from the first pass to calculate--e.g., links to frames that occur later in the capture).  [Or do those fields not show up in tshark's 2nd pass either?  My memory is fading...]