Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Packet sample repository/library?

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 11:37:31 +0000

On 20 December 2016 at 08:21, Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Jirka Novak <j.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Peter,

  first: happy-shark is very good idea. All notes above I would like to
discuss and then I will try to add my samples with respect to conclusions...

> For a basic testing framework, have a look at
> https://github.com/wireshark/happy-shark
>
> To-do: populate the test/ directory with lots of specific samples :-)

This approach looks good to me, I will try to add samples.
What I'm missing there is idea how to add description for a sample - I
mean "description" - why sample is there and "specification" - what
wireshark should do with it.
Testing with PDML is good idea, but it tests dissectors only. Time to
time you want to store sample because GUI should do something with it
(e.g. show it in red).
1) Won't be good idea to ask for e.g. <sample>.description.txt and
<sample>.specification.txt for each sample?
2) Won't be good idea to allow skip a sample from automatic testing
(because it is for GUI demonstration)?
For GUI stuff, a idea will be to use Extensive Testing ( http://www.extensivetesting.org/ )
it is on my TODO list but never found time to implement...

With a Windows view on things I've been thinking about Appium: http://appium.io/

--
Graham Bloice