Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] proto.h extension (unit strings)

From: Michal Labedzki <michal.labedzki@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 08:18:03 +0100
Good idea.
I have similar problem with Bluetooth protocols. There is a lot of something like that:
"Latency = N * 0.625 ms (1 Baseband slot)"

So I want to display [ms] instead of [slot] (or maybe both? [new use case]). What should I do in that case (N * 0.625)?
1. use own BASE_CUSTOM (dissector files)
2. public-predefined base custom function
3. combine it with "BASE_UNIT" (unit_name_string_get_value in base custom function) or BASE_UNIT | BASE_CUSTOM?

There is a need to update README.dissector (etc.)

I think there should be abbrev-form of unit in "struct unit_name_string" (second, seconds, s) and provide user option to choose between full-form and abbrev. I am not sure, but I will probably use abbreviation. I am not sure if mixing abbrev/non-abbrev on dissector level is good idea.