Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Calling the lte-rrc disector from within mac-lte for NB-IoT

Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 15:55:01 +0100
On 09.11.2016 15:39, Pascal Quantin wrote:
> Hi Andre,
>
> Le 9 nov. 2016 15:28, "Andre Puschmann"
> <andre.puschmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:andre.puschmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> a �crit :
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to dissect NB-IoT frames using the lte-rrc dissector from
>> within the mac-lte one. The mac-lte dissector currently only calls the
>> _normal_ LTE dissectors and I therefore wanted to add support for the
>> NB-IoT ones as well.
>>
>> I saw that in packet-mac-lte.h there is already a MAC_LTE_NB_MODE_TAG
>> tag present. Is that supposed to be used for NB-IoT? If so, how do you
>> think about the below addition to the mac-lte dissector? It's not meant
>> to be a pull-request, it's just to see if I got it right.
>
> Yes this is the kind of changes required. I was too lazy when I added
> the NB-IoT support in MAC and RRC dissectors and did not do this change
> (I'm  calling them separately and not using the RRC sub dissector call
> from MAC one). Presumably the same kind of  changes must be done for
> other channels (PCCH, CCH, DCCH). And RLC / PDCP dissectors will require
> modification also.
> Are you willing to work on it and submit a patch in Gerrit?

Pascal,

great! I first wanted to confirm that I am on the right path because I
actually never looked at the code before today. Yes, I am willing to
continue and submit a pull-reqeust in Gerrit. If possible, I'd add
support for it step-by-step. For now I can only confirm that it works
for those two channels present in the patch.

Thanks
Andre