Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] value_string from file

From: Jeroen Sack <JSack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 12:25:59 +0100
Hi,

I am developing a dissector for ISO11783 (ISObus) which is using object IDs which are constant per application. I have a file where these values are defined which I would like to read in my dissector so it is easier to see what is happening. What I was wondering about if this has been done before already and if not would it be advisable to do this or can I better display numbers and let the conversion up to the user?

The way I would like to implement it is as follows:
- Define a way to define the number to string definition, most likely csv
- Add an option in preferences to indicate where this file is located
- At startup or change of setting read this file and generate a string_value object

At the moment the amount of values is around 5000, but the protocol supports 65534 values. We would like to make this dissector available for public use as soon as it is ready.

Best regards,
Jeroen Sack (Lely Industries N.V.)