Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Replacing AsciiDoc by Asciidoctor for faster documentation?

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 17:55:03 +0100

On 26 October 2016 at 15:35, Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

The current documentation generator is really, really, really slow. It
takes 35 seconds to generate developer-guide.xml using a2x
(asciidoc.py). Looking for ways to make it faster, I found Asciidoctor.
An initial attempt showed that it could generate a document within a
second.

Seeing references to Asciidoctor in the source tree, I was wondering if
somebody has actually looked at adding Asciidoctor support? One obstacle
I have now run into is missing support for a .conf file[1] which would
enable use of attributes (?) and macros. Without any changes, currently
Asciidoctor outputs HTML files without the links being corrected.

By the way, Debian (and Ubuntu) do have an asciidoctor package in the
repositories, others can install a Ruby gem if the distribution/OS does
not provide appropriate packages.
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu

 [1]: https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor/wiki/Does-Asciidoctor-support-AsciiDoc-.conf-files%3F

The requirement for Ruby is a bit of a bind, yet another script language runtime to install and therefore more manual steps in the Windows build env setup.

While the time saving might be attractive is there that much churn in the docs that you actually rebuild them a lot?

--
Graham Bloice