Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Problem with val_to_str inside BASE_CUSTOM callback function

From: Thomas Wiens <th.wiens@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 22:45:23 +0200
On 21.10.2016 22:17, Guy Harris wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2016, at 1:08 PM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> For my understanding, would this be covered by using
>> val_to_str_wmem(wmem_file_scope(), val, vs, fmt);
>
> Yes, but the strings will remain allocated until the capture file is closed, even if that's not necessary.

I think that I will use val_to_str_const instead, because I'm using more
than one val_to_str inside my callback function.

I already have problems with high memory usage, because in the protocol
I'm working on, I have to reassemble a possible huge number of packets
before dissecting them. Maybe I have to ask some of you experts in a
separate thread, of how to deal with this. Maybe there are also other
protocols which have the same issues.

It seems that no other dissector is using val_to_str inside the
callback. But I think that problem would occur at least with a fuzz test.

--
Thomas