Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Why is building with libpcap optional?

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 16:18:55 +0200
Hello,

I tried to recall why building with libpcap is optional and failed. libpcap usage
is deeply embedded into Wireshark and the resulting #ifdef/#ifndef HAVE_LIBPCAP
shows: grep -r -E '#\s*if.*HAVE_LIBPCAP' . | wc -l
     288
I'd really like to get rid of that and the "simplest" solution would be to require
libpcap to be installed. I have some fallback ideas but would really like to use as
simple a solution as possible.

Thanks!
   Jörg