Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Linking on OSX Sierra

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2016 09:15:08 +0200
Just a quick info, I am running on Sierra as well, and had to update Xcode as well as the command-line utilities. Wireshark build s and runs fine here.

Fyi, I am using Qt5.7 and ports

regards
Roland

On Sat, Oct 8, 2016 at 1:14 AM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Oct 7, 2016, at 4:03 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/7/16 7:45 AM, Evan Huus wrote:
>> Hey all, recently upgrade my mac to Sierra and tried to revive my
>> wireshark build environment. I got it compiling (out-of-tree cmake)
>> and most of the tools (tshark) etc seem to work, but:
>>
>> $ ./run/wireshark
>> Listening on en0
>> 155 packets seen, 155 packets counted after pcap_dispatch returns
>>
>> No UI ever opens. I have Qt5 installed, and I checked my
>> CmakeCache.txt and it is detected and building the UI module
>> (BUILD_wireshark:BOOL=ON). The other weird part is:
>>
>> $ ./run/wireshark -h
>> Usage: Wireshark [ -mn ] [ -i interface ] [ -t timeout] [_expression_]
>>
>> That's *all* it outputs. I have to assume that some other binary is
>> being linked on top of the wireshark binary (tshark et al seem
>> unaffected) but I don't recognize that option set.
>>
>> Any ideas? Has anybody seen this before?
>
> Weird. ./run/wireshark should be a shell script generated by CMakeLists.txt
> that execs run/Wireshark.app/Contents/MacOS/Wireshark.

...and that's not Wireshark's "invalid command-line argument" error message.

So what does "file run/wireshark" print?

And if it's a shell script, what does it contain?