Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Extracting field values in a C post-dissector

From: Paul Offord <Paul.Offord@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 08:14:42 +0000

I thought I’d figured this out, then it turns out I hadn’t but now I think I have – are you still following?

The first thing I have realised is that the epan dissectors only generate displayable and filterable values (tcp.len, smb2.msg_id, etc.) if a tree is passed to them and the only place these values get saved is in the tree.  Normally Wireshark does not create a tree on the 1st scan of a trace file.  However, if a tap is registered it can/is registered with a display filter and the Wireshark code ( specifically cf_read() ) checks for filtering taps and sets a gboolean ( create_proto_tree ) accordingly:

create_proto_tree =

    (dfcode != NULL || have_filtering_tap_listeners() || (tap_flags & TL_REQUIRES_PROTO_TREE));

Later this Boolean is used as a switch in:

epan_dissect_init(&edt, cf->epan, create_proto_tree, FALSE);

The edt then has an associated tree ( edt->tree ), and the dissectors are then called with the tree.

The reason MATE and LUA dissectors have access to the field values during the 1st scan is because they both register filtering tap listeners.  So that’s what I’m going to try in TRANSUM.