Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Duplicate dissectors error

From: Michael Mann <mmann78@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 22:58:15 -0400
I'm pretty sure that when the "decode as structure" is registered by a dissector that the dissector table used in that is *required* to have allow_dup_proto flag set to FALSE.  Otherwise it could be ignored.
However, when the allow_dup_proto flag was added, I tried to be as strict as possible in case more dissector tables started using Decode As (and the issue would have to be addressed then).  When developing, I initially set all dissector table registrations to have allow_dup_proto flag = FALSE, and then ran Wireshark/TShark to see how many "complaints" I got.  The "justified" ones  (i.e.  those not using Decode As) were changed to "duplicates allowed".  Subsequent patches have been submitted for cases like GTPv2 that don't use Decode As (and where proprietary dissectors triggered the assert), so the dissector table can be "duplicates allowed".