Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Lua 5.3

From: João Valverde <joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 13:21:48 +0100

On 08/08/2016 09:17 PM, Jo�o Valverde wrote:

On 08/08/2016 05:58 PM, Pascal Quantin wrote:
Hi Jo�o,

<joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>:

    Is moving to Lua 5.3 something we should look into?

    The 64 bit integer support seems really promising.

Hariel explained us that Lua 5.3 was a completely different language (a
bit like what you have between Python 2.X and 3.X). You can find much
more info (from people knowing what they are taling about - so not me
;)) in bug 10881.

Pascal.

Thanks for that Pascal. The only sane way to approach the issue IMHO is
to accept that this may and probably will break backward compatibility
(not even think about supporting 5.1 or 5.2) and just consider whether
that break is justified (hint: it is).

Not that I have the skills to do the port, just the time and
stubbornness to attempt it. :-)

https://code.wireshark.org/review/#/c/17175/

I'd be glad to answer any questions, to the best of my knowledge.