Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] checklicenses.py

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 11:31:53 +0100

On 5 August 2016 at 11:21, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Aug 5, 2016, at 2:52 AM, Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I did look a bit for licensecheck and it appears to be a Perl script available as a Debian (and RPM) package devscripts as suggested by João, a package for Debian package maintainers.  As such, it isn't available for Windows.  The checklicenses.py script should probably check for the existence of licensecheck before trying to open it as a subprocess.

Playing the fun game called "find the upstream" found

        http://search.cpan.org/~jonass/App-Licensecheck-v3.0.2/bin/licensecheck

but that version appears to credit Jonas Smedegaard as one of the developers, while the version from Debian Jessie doesn't, so that doesn't appear to be the upstream version from Jessie.  I don't know whether Smedegaard and the Debian folk both started with the same earlier version but didn't end up there.

Should we just grab some version that works and include it in the tools directory, so that we don't get mysterious failures when updating the version of Ubuntu on the buildbot and don't fail - or require somebody to dig up or install via CPAN - on systems that don't distribute it?

+1, that might even work on Windows.

--
Graham Bloice