Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] build warnings

From: João Valverde <joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 02:56:27 +0100

On 07/14/2016 02:44 AM, Michael Mann wrote:
I've done some investigation into the build warnings generated by the
Ubuntu and Windows buildbots.  I thought I'd highlight some of the "big
offenders" so that if anyone has good ideas on how to fix them, it may
lead to thinning the forest out enough that we can see trees (and the
raw number of warnings wouldn't be that alarming).  I don't have counts
for the number of errors, but trust me, it's probably at least 100 for
the issues noted.

Ubuntu:
1. GPOINTER_TO_UINT (and family).

This macro is plain incompatible with Wbad-function-cast. I violently dislike this warning.

Windows:
1. C files generated by flex/bison.  I know these have always been
troublesome for code-analysis tools, so perhaps they should be put in a
"don't check these" list.
2. qpixelformat.h (Qt library).  VS Code Analysis would prefer to use
compiler directives #if instead of "if" when comparing what presume to
be #define constants (similar changes have been done in the Wireshark
source).  Not sure if such a fix is worthy of fixing and pushing
upstream, but it would clear a lot out.